UnionDocs is hiring a full-time Producer of Workshops & Labs to work at the organization’s offices in Brooklyn, NY.
Join UnionDocs on a mission to build one of the most vibrant learning spaces for the theory and practice of documentary arts. Our goal is to move artist’s projects forward through skill building, professional development, knowledge sharing, and community connection and to enrich and challenge the field as whole. The Producer of Workshops & Labs will be a critical addition to our core team and will make contributions across all our work, but will specifically be responsible for the UnionDocs Workshops & Labs, which includes our Summer Documentary Labs, our 10-month Collaborative Studio fellowship program, and our weekend workshops and intensives. These programs approach a multitude of exciting topics that are timely and inventive, driven by intellectual curiosity, research and experimentation. The producer will be responsible for maintaining the high quality of these existing programs, as well as pushing them towards growth and new levels of excellence.
The ideal candidate for the position:
- Is self-motivated and outgoing with curiosity that spans the broad field of documentary arts, including film, video, radio, podcast, journalism, photography, interactive, and performance.
- Is knowledgable about historical and contemporary approaches to documentary, appreciating mainstream forms as well as poetic and experimental expressions.
- Has research skills and a finger on academic currents, key trends, and needs of the field.
- Has strong writing abilities for effective communication and successful promotion.
- Is organized and task-oriented and able to identify and solicit institutional partnership.
- Has five or more years of experience working in the production of documentary and/or education of documentary artists and/or in the non-profit media industry.
- Has an ambitious, positive outlook, belief in the mission of UnionDocs, and ability to work with a “scrappy start-up” mentality.
- Ideally has documentary production experience, but not required.
- Ideally has Master’s Degree, but not required.
Core responsibilities include:
- Plan and implement a comprehensive year-round schedule of weekend workshops and intensives with exciting, innovative, and relevant topics that attend to the needs in the field.
- Organize and support our Collaborative Studio program for 12 fellows and our Summer Documentary Lab for up to 24 participants.
- Coordinate with lead instructors and guest artists for workshops, masterclasses, seminars, and critiques as required by these programs, supporting the development of critical frameworks and curricula.
- Collaborate with staff for marketing, outreach and partnership efforts including design, language, and promotion activities for programs to ensure full registration.
- Oversee administrative and operational aspects of programs such as legal agreements, space and equipment reservation, and final reporting.
- Organize application and registration processes and participate in evaluation of applicants.
- Organize film festival trips and local site visits for fellows and participants.
- Contribute to the creative production planning and distribution efforts for the projects of the Collaborative Studio.
- Develop new program ideas and contribute to team grant writing efforts.
Applications are due by April 25.
Interviews to be scheduled for the end of April.
Hiring early May.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience $40-48,000.
Employer paid health benefits and optional mobile phone service offered.
UnionDocs (UnDo) is a Center for Documentary Art that generates and shares ideas. We bring together a diverse community of experimental media-makers, dedicated journalists, critical thinkers, and local partners on a search for urgent expressions of the human experience, practical perspectives on the world today, and compelling visions for the future.
UnionDocs provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, UnionDocs complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
UnionDocs expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of UnionDocs’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Applications for this position have now closed. We are currently reviewing applications and will be scheduling interviews in the coming weeks.