Work with UnionDocs
UnionDocs is a Center for Documentary Art that presents, produces, publishes, and educates. We bring together a diverse community of artists, dedicated journalists, big thinkers, and local partners on a search for urgent expressions of the human experience, practical perspectives on the world today, and compelling visions for the future. In doing so, we embrace the broad spectrum of documentary approaches and disciplines; from social-issue to experimental, from personal to archival, from essayistic to observational, all impulses towards “creative actuality” are given space and attention. These efforts spring from the belief that documentary art— when paired with thoughtful context and open debate— is an invaluable tool for understanding the complexities of contemporary life and creating a more just and equitable society.
Growing steadily from grassroots since 2005, UnionDocs operates out of a 3-story building in the Southside of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which houses our exhibition and production facilities, administrative offices, and artist residency. We serve a hyperlocal audience, attract people from across and beyond New York City, and increasingly, participants travel internationally to join our singular workshops and labs. International audiences also find us through our energetic social media, online and print publications, live streams, and budding online film distribution. In a typical year, we support over 36 filmmakers in our labs, facilitate 28 workshops, host +100 events and screenings, produce 8 short docs, publish two volumes of the scholarly journal World Records, and direct over $600k to artists in grants, honoraria, commissions, and fiscal sponsorship.
Learn a bit more about what we do…
The Operations Manager is responsible for UnionDocs’ organizational systems at various levels and should be constantly analyzing and seeking to improve processes, with the aim of bettering work quality, productivity, and efficiency and an eye for overseeing all the myriad details of a highly functional and active space. From supporting Public Events and Workshop operations to Staff Hiring (including an assistant), to space rentals and building upkeep, Camera and Audio Equipment maintenance and ensuring Film Projectors and Audio system functionality, the candidate will be responsible for the logistical flow of the UnionDocs operational ecosystem.
Collaborating directly with all UnionDocs team members, the Operations Manager supports the development, implementation, and execution of all programs, workshops, labs, and events. The Operations Manager should recognize the value of direct, caring, and purposeful communication in order to mediate and facilitate operations.
Through communications and planning, the applicant will help foster a productive and enjoyable work environment and culture. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator who is able to juggle multiple projects at once and a detail-oriented, open-minded collaborator with a DIY, hands-on energy and initiative.
Building / Space
– Oversee the space calendar for logistical flow between UnionDocs events, workshops and rentals.
– Manage residents move-in/move-out procedure
– Handle space maintenance including: repairs, garbage, ordering supplies (including Workshop Hospitality and office coffee/milk)
– Communicate with management company for repairs
– Be the point of contact for space-related issues and concerns
– Oversee training and communication with long-term space rentals (BFC/Filmshop)
– Manage communication for all space rental inquiries including site visits, pricing and coordination
Digital Resource Management
– Contact Database and CRM oversight
– Digital asset management for UnionDocs productions, including archiving systems
– Host and manage technical logistics for remote Workshops
Website Development and Maintenance
– Troubleshoot any website issues (forms, tickets, etc)
– Manage plugin updates
– Manage websites for individual workshops
– Manage equipment rentals for Collaborative Studio and in-house documentation
– Manage and oversee care for Screening Room equipment, including sound, lighting and projection
– Order replacement parts and maintain charging station
– Repairs (as needed) for digital equipment technical needs
Distribution and Film Festivals
– Oversee distribution, sales, screenings and educational efforts for UnionDocs projects, including Living Los Sures
– Submit and track film festival submissions for UnionDocs productions
– Maintain festival submission database