At the height of summer when filmmakers are neck-deep in the editing process, the Rough Cut Retreat offered by our friends at TRUE/FALSE and Catapult is a one-of-a-kind mentorship, summer-camp experience.
Launched in 2016, RCR unites filmmakers and mentors in a creative, supportive, and engaged atmosphere. The goal is to move projects from a rough cut to fine cut with an eye toward fall festival deadlines. The retreat camp convenes in the beautiful Berkshires deep in the forest and encourages a free-wheeling, thoughtful environment where filmmaker’s visions are supported by mentors who are hand-picked for their editorial strength and generosity of spirit rather than marketplace imperatives. Both T/F and Catapult are dedicated to supporting work whose content and aesthetics push boundaries, and that provoke dynamic discussion. Did we mention there is swimming & croquet?
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Timeline & Specifics
- Rough Cut Retreat will take place July 23rd-27th at Gedney Farm in New Marlborough, Mass.
- 5 feature films will be chosen to participate, a maximum of 2 members from each filmmaking team can attend
- 5 mentors, in addition to T/F and Catapult hosts, will be present at the event
- Domestic travel, lodging and food will be booked and covered for filmmaking teams, a modest travel stipend will be made available to teams traveling internationally
Formats & Deadline
- Applications will be accepted until March 23, 2017. For consideration, fill out the form at this link. Please submit two paragraphs describing your film and an online screener link of 5-10 minutes that best represents your project. Longer entries will be considered at the jurors’ discretion. Note that the first 10 minutes of all entries will always be watched.
- Only projects with a realistic projection of an actual rough cut by July will be considered.
- Projects will be notified of decision May 2017
- If selected, a screener link of the film’s rough cut must be submitted by July 13 and a digital file (quicktime .mov, .mp4. or equivalent suitable for projection) must be provided by July 20.
For details, please reach out to: [email protected]