Nitehawk Cinema’s fourth annual Nitehawk Shorts Festival will take place from November 8 to 13 at Nitehawk Cinema (136 Metropolitan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11249). The festival features six days of short films under twenty-minutes with Opening Nite, Music Driven, Art Seen, Midnite, and weekend Matinee screenings. The festival also includes an opening night celebration and Filmmakers’ Gathering in Nitehawk Cinema’s bar, Lo-Res. Programs consist of short films in all forms (animation, documentary, narrative, non-narrative, artist films, music videos, horror) by local, national, and international filmmakers.
The mission of the Nitehawk Shorts Festival is to highlight exceptional short-form film and videos by artists and filmmakers. The Festival’s main slate programming features a range of filmmakers, from emerging film school students to Academy Award nominees, in curated screenings that prioritize conversations between the films over categorical listings. With a focus on those working in New York, the Nitehawk Shorts Festival provides a platform for filmmakers to encourage an engagement with new audiences and to establish a dialogue with the New York/Brooklyn film community.
The following are the possible prizes for filmmakers entering the Nitehawk Short Film Festival.
- Festival Jury Winner: post-production sound services from Heard City (valued at $16k) and post-production coloring services from Cheap Nice Shoes ($20k value).
- Festival Jury Runner-Up: gift certificate from B&H ($1500 value) and Pro-Account from Vimeo.
- Cinematography Award: Purchase equipment donation from Order Panavision ($7500 value).
- Huffington Post Arts Impact Award: Awarded to the 2016 Nitehawk Shorts Festival submission that best shines a light on a timely political, social or cultural issue resonating around the world, the winner will be selected by a small panel of HuffPost Arts & Culture writers and editors. The winner will be profiled in a Huffington Post Arts & Culture feature, and will have the opportunity to screen their film at Nitehawk’s New York City headquarters.
- Audience Choice Awards: Pro-Accounts from Vimeo Buy Cheap (eligible during Opening Nite, Midnite, Matinee One and Matinee Two).
Early Submission for the 2016 Nitehawk Shorts Festival is now open, accepting submissions of short films in all forms (animation, documentary, narrative, non-narrative) by local, national, and international filmmakers in three categories: General Festival Screening, Midnite Festival Screening, and Music Video/Doc screening. The deadline for early submission of short films is July 5, 2016 at 6pm. Regular Submission is open until August 2, 2016 at 6pm. Finally, late Submission lasts until August 22, 2016 at 6pm. Films must have been completed between 2014 and 2016. Please direct any questions to [email protected].